Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:15:47 -0800
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        Yonghyeon PYUN <pyunyh@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD STABLE <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: nfe0: watchdog timeout

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 10:47:27 +0900 Yonghyeon PYUN <pyunyh@gmail.com> wrote

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 12:21:30PM -0800, Chris H wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 14:39:41 -0500 Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com>
> > wrote

> > > Seeing that after a power outage, I'd be testing the NIC in another
> > > machine or etc.
> > Thanks for the reply, Brandon.
> > That's a no op. It's an onboard NIC. So unless I get out
> > the exacto knife, or de-solder it. It's not going to happen. ;)
> >
> > On the up-side. I pulled the power from the PSU, and pulled
> > a PCI NIC of the shelf, and shoved into a spare slot. My
> > intention was to force IRQ reassignment, in case the (onboard)
> > NIC was forced into sharing an IRQ for some strange reason.
> > Anyway, plugged in the power cord, and booted the box, and
> > *viola* the nfe0 NIC was back online. Don't know whether it
> > was completely removing the power, the additional NIC, or
> > both. But in the end; all is good.
> >

> Due to lack of publicly available documentation, nfe(4) heavily
> relies on power-on default H/W configurations(e.g. PHY or power
> saving related thing). Some of those register configurations are
> sticky so they shall survive from power cycling. The vendor surely
> knows the correct sequence to reprogram those registers but the
> required information is not available to open source driver
> writers.
> Cold-boot will always perform full H/W initialization and it will
> put the controller into known good state. So it's good idea to
> unplug power cord and wait tens of seconds before boot when you
> encounter power lost or unexpected watchdog timeouts.
Good call, and thanks for confirming that.
I *knew* it ust have been one, or the other. As it would
actually communicate a few packets periodically. So I was
left with either IRQ's arbitrarily moving (suspected video)
because of the intermittent packet activity. Or simply a
need to drain the caps, to force a cold post.
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply. Greatly
appreciated!