Date:      Thu, 04 Feb 1999 15:29:59 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        yxw@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (no subject)

From: Xiaowei Yang <yxw@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 10:19:10 -0500

> Hi,
>
> I have three questions:
>
> 1. Does anyone know which release of bsd includes the dummynet
> implemention?

You'll want 3.x-STABLE (tag RELENG_3) most likely.

> 2. I want to upgrade my systems (now is 2.2.6&7) to stable. I read the
> tutorial for upgrading /usr/src, but I donot know how to upgrade
> ports-all.

Just make sure you have:

ports-all tag=.

in your CVSup file

> 3. I want to modify /usr/src so that I want to keep a local CVS
> repository. Can I use CVSup to check /usr/src to my CVS directly and use
> CVSup to check out from my CVS?

Not sure I understand your question.  If you want to keep a local
repository of the FreeBSD project up to date,  then the most
painless way I know is to install /usr/ports/net/cvsup-mirror.

You can use normal CVS checkout and export commands against this
repository or even run cvsup against the localhost cvsupd process
installed by cvsup-mirror.

I don't understand all of the nuances of trying to place
one's own sources into a  FreeBSD repository being mirrored
with CVSup.

I can't imagine it would be a recommended thing to do.

If you are interested in building local deviants of FreeBSD,
then the artifacts left over from a 'make release' are very
useful for building in a chrooted environment.

You can apply patches from your own local repository there
and then build things without distrupting your development
system.

HTH,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net