Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:31:42 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Gooderum, Mark" <mark@jumpweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Alpha Multia (

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Gooderum, Mark wrote:

> I've got a DEC Multia up reasonably well minus a few problems.  I'm
> generally running a the late March SNAPSHOT with a 3.1 Release userland.
>
> Issue 1 - 4.x Kernel (any snapshot from February through 3/26 and CURRENT)
> doesn't read the keyboard. 3.1-RELEASE/GENERIC kernel does.  The console
> isn't locked because output to /dev/console works.  Obviously the getty is
> on /dev/console and not /dev/ttyvN on the Multia.  Any pointers for Keyboard
> parameters to play with?  I've tried doing a diff of 3.1-RELEASE versus 4.x
> but the keyboard code has changed a lot.  Note that NumLock/CapsLock toggle
> on and off, just no input.  Other wierdnesses are that the load program sees
> KB input, upper and lower case, but ? comes through as / and some other
> similar wierdness.

Possibly you need to change your kernel config file. The 4.0 kernels use
the new syscons and keyboard drivers and they have slightly different
config requirements. Check the contents of GENERIC for details.

> Issue 2 - Random crashes.  With 3.1-RELEASE the system will randomly just
> restart without any messages from the kernel or a core dump.  It's pretty
> consistently related to lots of disk activity especially with more than one
> process.  With the latest 4.x SNAPSHOT things are much more stable and it's
> only done that once.

I'm not too sure what to suggest. Has anyone else noticed this on 3.1?

> Issue 3 - Are kernel coredumps supposed to work on the Alpha port yet?  I've
> never had one occur on a crash.

Crashdumps are now supported in 4.0 (fairly recently). To interpret them,
you will need some gdb patches from Andrew Gallatin.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com