Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:58:07 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        jsuter@intrastar.net (Jacob Suter), isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bang bang bang bang - lame lame lame lame

> To decode it in real time, however, and display it, would probably
> require a very very fast machine...

Naw, just some dedicated hardware.  My CD-I will do real-time MPEG
decoding and it simply requires a module in the back which contains 2
motorola DSPs.  Picture quality is excellent, *depending on how well
the source was compressed*.  Apparently it costs a bit more to do it
right and takes more computational time, but when that's the case the
visual quality is (to my novice eyes, anyway) indistinguishable from
an SVHS tape when played on my Sony 27" multisystem TV.  On some of my
earlier CD-I movies you can occasionally see jaggies, but even so
you've got to be looking for them.

					Jordan