Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 08:43:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, jrb@cs.pdx.edu
Subject:   Re: 802.11 control packets?

>Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 08:22:58 -0700
>From: Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>

>Is there any with with any 802.11 nic/driver to
>see 802.11 control packets (beacons and the like ...,
>RTS/CTS if you are doing that ...) in promiscuous mode.

Yes.

I've been using different versions of some patches by Doug Ambrisko to do
this for the Cisco/Aironet 340 cards for a while now.

See http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/an; read the notes.

>Maybe airolan does this?

Not sure what is meant by this.

(If I recall correctly, the Lucent/Orinoco/Agere/...(whatever) cards
have had this support longer, and that is what Pete Shipley has been
using in his efforts.  You may find the mailing list archives at
www.bawug.org to be of some interest.)

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.