Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 01:22:28 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Ryan Kennedy <ryank@uidaho.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID support in FreeBSD

>I was wondering exactly which RAID controllers are supported in FreeBSD
>3.x.  I am looking at buying an Adaptec AAA series RAID controller and
>wondered if there is driver support for it, or if there even needs to be
>driver support for it.  I also need to buy a UPS and wanted to buy one that
>can be administered within FreeBSD (ie. automatic shutdown after 5 min. of
>no power).  Is there any kind of UPS support like this for FreeBSD that
>you're aware of?  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

   Cheap plug: My company, TeraSolutions, builds RAID-5 systems that are
specifically built to work reliably with FreeBSD. Contact me directly if
you'd like more information.

>P.S.  Is the Intel 8460B Ether Express Pro 10/100 supported?  How about the
>8461?  I assume both are.   Is one a better choice than the other?  I hear
>FreeBSD has good support of S3 chipset graphic cards.  Is this true?

   The 8460B is very well supported via the fxp driver. I don't know for sure
what an 8461 is.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.