Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 02:23:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beginners with bsd

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Chip wrote:

> I wouldn't give you any flak, I'm just curious why you would
> recommend the
> Mac. Why would it be better than any custom 'pc'? I will admit, I
> have never
> used a Mac and know basicaly nothing about them.

	Well Basically because there are whole teams of people at apple
whose job is to make the OS easy to use.  They also have proffesional
interface designers whose job is to study how people interface with the
computer.  And these people's opinions are listened to unlike other
places.  When trying to get the same task done in windows and Mac, the
mac task is much easier.  Often when using Mac OS, I find myself saying
'man, somebody was thinking there'
	I don't use Mac unless I have to now that I have FreeBSD.  It's
not that much more stable then windows and is purposely designed for
someone who doesn't know what the OS is really doing and don't care to
know.
	Mac OS X, coming out soon (Beta already of course) will combine
that ease of use and well thought out interface with a solid unix core.
See www.apple.com/macosx/   if you dig around enough you can find some
details.
	And I would have to politely disagree with Igor and say that ease
of use (for a beginner;  ease meaning: does not have to learn too much to
get something done) does pretty much equate with GUI.  Now efficiency and
getting a lot done in a short time (power) are a different story.  A GUI
cannot do that well.

							Tim