Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 11:21:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        fran@reyes.somos.net
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to get Sendmail 8.10 in stable?

>From: "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
>Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:11:27 -0500

>What is the best way to get Sendmail 8.10 for Stable?
>I don't see a port. Do I need to get it  directly from
>sendmail.org?
>Will this version of sendmail make it to stable 3.X or will be
>something  for 4.X onward?

I won't claim that what's optimal for me is necessarily optimal for you
(or anyone else), but after hearing from some of the folks involved with
releasing 8.10 (who told me that even as beta12 it was more stable than
8.9.3, which had been quite solid for me on several machines, both at
work and at home), I went ahead & fetched 8.10 from ftp.sendmail.org &
installed it on a laptop running 4.0-RC3 (which I'm typing on at the
moment), and it seemed to work just fine.

That was yesterday morning; following that, yesterday afternoon I did
the same on an UltraSPARC running Solaris 2.6, again with no trouble at
all.

Biggest "issue" is that some files have changed their (default) names,
so those of us who are accustomed to looking for /etc/sendmail.cw need
to get used to looking for /etc/mail/local-host-names, for example.
(This is all documented in the cf/README file, which is even more of a
treasure-trove of useful information than usual.)

Anyway, I guess my point is that sendmail is strictly a user-level
program -- it's easy to install a new release without being too concerned
about what release of what OS you're running.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915