Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:35:51 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        kapr@crosswinds.net
Subject:   proper place for manpages of utilities installed by p5-ports

There's an update of the www/p5-HTML-Embperl port by Alex Kapranoff.
This port, among other things, installs a script to ${LOCALBASE}/bin,
and puts its manpage to ${PREFIX}/lib/perl5/${PERL_VERSION}/man/man1.  I
wonder whether this is the correct place to install the manpage, or not.

There might be the following points of view:

1. It's a wrong place.  If the script is in bin/, the manpage should be
   in man/man1/.

2. It's the right place, but the port should @unexec rmdir
   %D/lib/perl5/${PERL_VERSION}/man/man1, since this directory is not in
   the BSD.local.dist mtree.

3. It's the right place, and BSD.local.dist should list man/man1 for
   perl, as it now lists man/man3.

4. p5 ports should not install executables (just kidding).

I do not know what to choose, though (1) or (3) look better for me than
the rest.

Comments?

Cheers,
%Anton.