Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 2003 10:30:37 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Jason L. Schwab" <jlschwab@jlschwab.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems Compiling Apache with Mod_Perl and Mod_SSL

--EuxKj2iCbKjpUGkD

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 05:11:07PM -0500, Jason L. Schwab wrote:
> Heya Folks;
>=20
> 	System Specs:
>=20
> 	FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE
> 	OpenSSL 0.9.7a (OS Installed)
> 	Apache 1.3.27
> 	Mod_Perl 1.28
> 	Mod_SSL 1.3.28 / 2.8.15
> 	Perl 5.8.0 (ports/lang/perl58 installed)
>                    (use.perl port)
>=20
> 	I have tried many, many ways to get mod_ssl and mod_perl to
> 	compile on many servers, all with near same configurations,
> 	with absolutely no luck.

That's funny.  Works fine for me just compiling from ports.  You need
to start by installing the apache13-modssl port: mod_ssl can't be
installed as a stand-alone module to load into plain apache, and
furthermore any other modules need to be compiled against the
apache13-modssl combination.

A very useful trick is to add:

    APACHE_PORT=3D${PORTSDIR}/www/apache13-modssl

into /etc/make.conf, which convinces most apache related ports to
depend on the mod_ssl-ified apache.
=20
> 	All I can ever to get to compile is either just mod_ssl, just
> 	mod_perl, and with same configurtation options, I can get it
> 	to say and show and compile SSL and modperl, but "httpd -l"
> 	shows no mod_perl ? only mod_ssl, or vice versa!

httpd -l only shows the *compiled in* modules, not the dynamically
loaded modules.  My httpd with both mod_perl and mod_ssl produces:

    % httpd -l
    Compiled-in modules:
      http_core.c
      mod_so.c
   =20
> 	Altho, when the above happens, apache's configure shows it
> 	adding both SSL and ModPerl uses Config/End Config/Start,
> 	normal stuff, and it even goes thro the directories for the
> 	compile and has no errors.

If you can add mod_ssl or mod_perl configuration directives to
httpd.conf (outside any <IfModule ..></IfModule> block and run
'apachectl configtest' without apache complaining, that means your
apache does have the required support.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20