Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 09:36:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM (Ron G. Minnich)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: HELP -- strange file system corruption under freebsd

As Ron G. Minnich wrote:

> my friends at penn are having weird problems on their freebsd boxes. The
> machines load and run fine, then at some point the file system gets hosed
> and can't be repaired

>> It is unclear what actually happens to the filesystem...  It just becomes
>> corrupted.  Next time it happens, we'll examine the inode structures...

Perhaps directories or files are being turned into `device nodes'?

Seems like a problem with the 2940 driver after SCSI bus timeouts.
I've somtimes seen it, too (but only for SCSI buses where more than
the disk device is attached).  Since it aren't only device nodes, but
also have got very weird permissions (including mysterious file
flags), i wouldn't suspect fsck.

--
cheers, J"org