Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:22:56 -0400
From:      dfolkins <dfolkins@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disk upgrade on dual boot system

From: "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 1:14 PM
Subject: disk upgrade on dual boot system

> What I *think* I should do:
>
> 1) Restore current disk to it's pre-boot easy, pre-FreeBSD state by
>     a) taking out Boot Easy with sysinstall or the FreeBSD utility
>        (usr/sbin/boot0cfg)
>     b) use fdisk to delete the FreeBSD partition
> 2) install 40-gig disk and use WD disk copy utility
> 3) remove old disk (now a back-up), check that new disk will boot W98
> 4) reinstall FreeBSD
>
> This seems a rather strange way to upgrade a dual-boot disk -- what
> if actually wanted to keep FreeBSD?  Am I missing something?  Is
> there a better way?

1-what i would do, (since you say you wanna do a fresh install of 4.6.2
anyway) is
2-pop in the new disk into the box as a slave
3-make whatever partitions you want on it (presumably a boot partition for
win, a partition for fbsd, and probably a third partition just for data is a
good idea)
4-move all the data you want to back up from the old drive into the third
data partition on the new drive
5-then install win on the first partition of the new disk - hopefully winxp
instead of the crappy win98, but even if you stick with 98, its good for it
to be reinstalled once in a while anyway (hehe).
6-play with your bios to boot from the new disk and make sure it boots
7-make the new drive the master, the old the slave, make sure puter boots,
and you can wipe the old drive at leisure and make it into whatever you want
8-install freebsd on the partition that you reserved for it on the new
drive.

first, this gives you two nice fresh installs.  second, you get to partition
the drive how you want - not how the WD utility decides to partition it (and
who knows how that is - how would it move two partitions from an 8 gig drive
into two partitions for 40 gig?).

or, if you want to save yourself the reinstalls, and trust the WD util to
partition your drive to your satisfaction, you could just (as you say)
install a standard mbr through sysinstall, run the WD util, and then install
booteasy back again, but now on the new drive.  and that way you wont have
to reinstall either win98 or the freebsd.
--
dfolkins