Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:37:25 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Sperber <sperber@w3.brgkepler.asn-graz.ac.at>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creative Soundblaster Live! Player 5.1

Sperber wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Today i bought the sb live... installed it and as i listened to some music
> i noticed that the quality was rather low...
> Has someone experiences with that soundcard?

I have an SB Live and from what I can tell it sounds no worse than
my old SB16.  Sometimes its a little quieter than I'd like (I usually
have to have the volume set at >75, frequently closer to 95 across
the board to get anything audible out of the card in FreeBSD, although
the windows driver needs to be turned down to about 30 or so to be
tolerable).  Also, it doesn't support multichannel audio in FreeBSD
(IE no /dev/dsp0.1 /dev/dsp0.2 etc...).

In what way is the "quality low" anyway?  Is it scratchy?  Noisy?
Tinny?  Does it sound like 8bit 4khz audio?

What were you using to test?

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer