Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:35:05 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Michael Lestinsky <michael.lestinsky@mpi-hd.mpg.de>,  freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT

--------------040605090301070306020004

Michael Lestinsky wrote:
> O. Hartmann wrote on  08.01.2006:
>
>> umass0: Genesyslogic USB Mass Storage Device, rev 2.00/0.33, addr 2
>>

> Dump it. I had one of these Genesys Logic enclosures myself and it caused
> some PITA. After replacing it with a Maxtor Onetouch USB harddisk all of
> the problems disapeared.
>
> BTW: The problems were not only FreeBSD related. My girlfriend had the
> same thing running on WinXP where it caused similar problems.
>
> Bye,
> Michael

Hello.
Thank you very much for the answers.

Well, the suspicous drive had two connectors, both were connected to an
USB port (I think to provide the necessary power). Exchanging the USB
cord with a normal single-headed one let the problem disappear.

It was funny to realize thast the same drive showed up 22 MB/s on WinXP
(max) and only 7 MB/s on FreeBSD (both machines use the same mainboard,
ASUS A8N-SLI/NForce4 chipset. On FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE, both cabling-types
(dual and single head) run the disk only with 7 MB/s.

Nice to hear that Onetouch USB drives work well.

Best regards,
Oliver

--------------040605090301070306020004--