Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:18:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert McCallum <robert@cards2talk.com>
To:        misc@openbsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   911 lockdown!

My DNS/MAIL/WEB server was hacked recently, I don't believe they 'rooted'
the server 'yet'. But I do see that they have obtained access to a user
account. It apears they cracked a users account which I found out that one
of my users did not adhere to our security policy and set a password that
was not in accordance to our password policy.

I did find the crackers address, although he did attempt to clean-up after
himself, he was not very good.

The machines were up aprox. 1 month and are not behind a firewall as of
yet. The delay of setting up a firewall ( which there is no excuse ) is
due to the fact that we are moving to a new office and leasing bandwidth
from a different service provider. Who is going to assign us a new block
of IP's. Laziness is the cause of this break-in.

I lack the hardware to setup a firewall/router at this time. the only
thing I can do is firewall the server itself. I have already wrapped and
disallowed access to many services from outside our subnet, but this does
not seem to be sufficient since so ports are still open and can be
accessed such as, X11 on 6000, SMTP 25, IMAP on 143, etc. I also noticed
that on port 587 the service named 'submission' is open ... and when I
telnet to it ... It starts a sendmail shell like port 25. Is this
normal? I don't remember seeing this before.

In conclusion, I need to setup a firewall on that particular host ASAP. I
have read a lot of documentation on firewalls and internet security which
I do understand. However, I am not exp. with IP FILTER or IPFW.

I have one NIC in my box with that address of (example address)208.202.32.3
and have 2 other IP's binded to the same interface. (IP Aliasing)

Being that time is of the essence here, I do not have the time to readup
on firewall rules right now, I would be eternally grateful for some help
with the rules I need in order to filter the following ports and close all
others.

Port       State       Service
21/tcp     open        ftp
22/tcp     open        ssh
25/tcp     open        smtp
53/tcp     open        domain
80/tcp     open        http
110/tcp    open        pop-3
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
143/tcp    open        imap2
587/tcp    open        submission
3306/tcp   open        mysql
6000/tcp   open        X11

ftp and ssh are wrapped (I know, not a good idea to wrap ssh.) In this
case I had to.

I am sure I can figure out how to setup IPFILTER as long as I have the
correct rules. However it would be helpfule to have a very fast run down
of the steps I need to take in order to get it running.

thanks a lot for taking the time to read this...

-robert

please CC: me a copy of any replies.