Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 00:37:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        David Loszewski <stealth215@mediaone.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: is there an i686 version?

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, David Loszewski wrote:

> I just noticed at my login prompt it says, 'FreeBSD/i386', this is
> version 4.3 from the iso, is there a FreeBSD/i686 that anyone is aware
> of since I would assume that this would speed things up.
>
> Dave

FreeBSD supports the 386, 486, 586, and 686 chipsets (this includes
Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Celeron, Pentium III, Pentium 4, AMD,
and others).  The i386 you see when you login indicates the architecture
(x86 as opposed to Alpha, Sparc, MIPS, PPC, etc.).  There is a good amount
of code in FreeBSD that can take advantage of faster chips.  If you want
to know what FreeBSD thinks of your CPU, check the top of your dmesg
output:

CPU: Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron (748.28-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x683  Stepping = 3

Features=0x387f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,PN,MMX,FXSR,SSE>

Joe