Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 01:23:34 -0700
From:      "David E. Tweten" <tweten@ns.frihet.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEC 6030X, FreeBSD 2.2.2, and the CDROM

Initially quoting me, Bruce Evans said:
>>the CD acts as /dev/wd0.  That gives me two choices.  I always leave
>>the CD drawer in -- and always boot from the CD, or I can boot the first
>>time into single user mode, change /etc/fstab to refer to /dev/wd0 instead
>>of /dev/wd1 and never install the CD drawer again under FreeBSD.  Other
>>strategies produce a panic, immediately after the kernel gets through
>>probing devices.  The cause is inability to mount the root partition
>>(because /etc/fstab points to the "wrong" device).

>The panic is before /etc/fstab is read.

I disagree, because changing the contents of /etc/fstab (from wd1 based
contents provided by the CD install to wd0 based contents) prevents the panic.

>I think the wd drive number doesn't actually change, it just doesn't match
>the BIOS drive number.  Try booting with 1:wd(0,a)kernel or 0:wd(1,a)kernel.

When I ran the install CD, it made an /etc/fstab built around wd1.  I have
since gone into single user mode and changed it to be built around wd0.  Also,
the following tests were done with the CD drawer in place.

Entering "1:wd(0,a)/kernel" results in the following immediately after the
last device probe:

	Changing root device to wd1a
	swapon: /dev/wd0b: Device not configured
	Automatic reboot in progress ...
	Can't open /dev/rwd0a: Device not configured
	/dev/rwd0a: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
	/dev/rwd0a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY.

	Automatic file system check failed ... help!
	Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

Entering "0:wd(1,a)/kernel" results, immediately after the last device probe,
in an infinite loop of:

	Error: D:0x81 C:0 H:0 S:0

Entering nothing results (immediately after the last device probe) in:

	panic: cannot mount root

	Syncing disks ... done
	Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

Thanks for taking a shot at it.  Are there other ideas?
--
David E. Tweten            |  2047-bit PGP fingerprint:   |   tweten@frihet.com
12141 Atrium Drive         |   E9 59 E7 5C 6B 88 B8 90    |      tweten@and.com