Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 05:16:32 -0700
From:      Joe Warner <rootman@xmission.com>
To:        Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: We survived the earthquake

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Chip Wiegand wrote:
> Well, my family and I survived the earthquake today. And none of my
> computers or printers fell on the floor, though a few of my wifes
> things did, nothing damaged though. My cat must've been going crazy.
> Anybody else on this list live in the Puget Sound region? How'd you
> do?
> At work everyone just headed out to the parking lot, where we could
> feel the ground rolling in waves, quite unnerving. The lot next to
> ours is under construction and there's one of those tall spindly
> cranes over there, probable a couple hundred feet high. The guy up
> at the top was out of the control room and standing out on the arm
> of the crane waving his arms around. Man, he must've been rattled
> to the bones! He didn't go back into the control room for about 20
> minutes after that, just standing out on the arm of the crane,
> probably getting himself back together.
>
> Anyway, just thought I'd pass along a few thoughts in the aftermath
> of the quake. I live about 15 miles north of Seattle, there were no
> damaged buildings up here, but Seattle has quite a mess to clean up.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Chip Wiegand

I'm glad to hear you're all right.  I heard about it first while I was at work
yesterday.  The news was all over the web.  First they said the quake
was a 6.4 and then upgraded it to a 7.0.  I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and
when I got home, the local media was interviewing people at the Salt
Lake International Airport who were on a flight that left Seattle minutes
before the quake struck.  They were notified of the quake minutes before
landing in Salt Lake and most were scrambling for the phones to contact
loved ones to make sure they were all right.

Earthquakes in Seattle are probably as rare as tornados in Salt Lake but
they do happen.  We had an F2 tornado come through downtown Salt Lake
in the early part of 2000 and it nearly tore the roof off the Delta Center
before moving up into the avenues and trashing a few houses and lots
of trees.

It's good to hear most people are all right.  It could have been a lot
worse.

Joe

 You know you're in trouble when your wife asks you;
"Would you like me any better if I had a square face?"

                               -me