Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 11:32:43 +1000 (EST)
From:      Simon Coggins <chaos@ultra.net.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MAJOR Problem in 2.2.5 (Related to 6x686 MMX 166 CPU)

Last week i posted about having a problem with the kernel of 2.2.5 on the boot
disk kernel panicing with this message:

fatal trap 9 general protection fault while in kernel

instruction pointer             = 0x8:0xf01aad71
stack pointer                   = 0x10:0xefbfff98
frame pointer                   = 0x10:0xefbfffb0
code segment                    = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                  DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags                = resume, IOPL = 0
current process                 = 0 ()
interrupt mask                  = net tty bio

panic: general protection fault

I've worked out the problem. 2.2.5 does not like my CPU. It detects it as:

CPU: i486DX (486-class CPU)

But it is really a IBM Cyrix 6x686 P166+ MMX (Bois shows it as M2-MMX-P166+)

I swaped CPU's in another machine to a Cyrix P120+ and it worked fine so i
installed FreeBSD 2.2.5 then swapped CPU's back and booted up (It booted from
2.2.2 Kernel after the upgrade). I recompiled kernel and rebooted. *BANG*
Kernel panic.

I have to load /kernel.old now because I can't boot up from the 2.2.5 Kernel..

HELP!

(As of writting I'm CVSup'ing to -current to try and fix the problem)

Regards
Simon