Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 13:58:17 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Iomega Zip drives (fwd)

> I have an IDE CD-ROM as the master and an Iomega 100MB ZIP IDE drive
> as the slave on my second controller.  Before I installed the Zip
> drive, the CD-ROM functioned correctly.  When I add the Zip drive,
> I cannot access either device; disklabel -r and mount both hang, and
> sometimes (well - usually) crash the OS.

The Zip is an ATAPI device, not an IDE device. (Big difference 8).

> Here is the DMESG output, and two attempts at a kernel configuration
> file; neither work.  OS version is 2.2.1.

There is no support for the ATAPI Zip in 2.2.1.  You will need to
upgrade to -stable (or 2.2.6 when it is released).  At this point in
time, the driver in -stable is *broken* for the Zip.

Some clarification of the boot messages (you appear to have confused
"the device is detected" with "the device is handled by a driver").

> wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <MATSHITA CR-583/1.05>, removable, accel, dma, iordis

The generic IDE code finds your second controller, and discovers an
ATAPI device connected.  (wdc*)

> wcd0: 1378Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 256 volume levels, ejectable tray
> wcd0: 120mm data disc loaded, unlocked

The ATAPI CDROM driver claims the CDROM.  (wcd*)

> wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <IOMEGA  ZIP 100       ATAPI/23.D>, removable, intr,
> iordis

The generic IDE code discovers your Zip.  No drivers claim it though.

During testing, I have observed that the presence of an ATAPI Zip as a
secondary unit has caused problems.  If W95 works correctly on your
system, it would be fair to characterise this as a defect in the
FreeBSD ATAPI driver.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\