Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 15:07:03 -0500
From:      Dan Delaney <dionysos@mail.dionysia.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports compile options (was IMAP-UW 2002 login disabled)

On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 02:48 PM, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Most ports will print out a summary of the compile time options you
> can set when you attempt to build the port.

Thanks for the reply Matt.

The trouble with that is that you have to build it first. It would be
nice to be able to find out the options BEFORE you go through the whole
process of building it, only to have to build it again to use the
options you want.

> Plus you can always read the port Makefile.  It's not that hard to
> work out what the options are.

Not exactly the ideal solution, is it?

It would be nice to have something like "make help" that would print
out all the options for that port. (I'm just trying to think of ways to
make FreeBSD easier to use.)

Cheers.
--Dan