Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 13:47:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Dan Cooper <dcooper@fvt.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Questions on the subject buildworld subject

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Dan Cooper wrote:

> The tutorial mentions that you can use '-jx' as an option with the -current
> source to allow make to spawn 'x' simultaneous processes (-j4 was
> recommended for single CPU machines) to speed up the build.  Can you do this
> with 2.2-stable and does it speed up the build significantly?

  "-jX" is not too staff on stable because the makefiles haven't been
updated.

> Also, the post install step discusses updating the configuration files in
> /etc, /usr, and /var.  The tutorial recommends creating a dummy directory,
> installing the new /etc and other files, and then going through and
> comparing each new file with its old counterpart to see if there are any
> changes.  My question:  is there an easier way of doing this?  Is there a
> list of important revisions to configuration files somewhere?  I'm still
> poking my way through each file trying to judge what is important or not.

  I'd just ignore this step.  Updating /etc is not important, unless there
are specific compatibility changes required (like the /etc/fstab change
sometime ago).  So don't update /etc/ unless you know of some reason why
you need to.  I've got some 2.2-stable machines running with /etc from
2.2-RELEASE (the old /etc/sysconfig stuff).

> Thanks,
>
> Dan Cooper
> dcooper@fvt.com

Tom