Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 11:39:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jin Guojun (DSD staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        nsayer@quack.kfu.com
Subject:   Re: Pac$Bell Internet DSL howto

I have a friend also got the $39/mo DSL dynamic IP service. I am trying
to connect a FreeBSD box on it, but getting some errors. I never used
PPP before, so had no clue what other things need to be done beside
15.4. Here is what I did:	(the ep0 works well on static IP subnet)

adding following lines into /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and /etc/rc.conf, reboot
system: (YOURLOGINNAME & YOURPASSWORD substituted by real strings, these
are only information given by PacBell, and work under window95)

--------------------------- info. output -------------------------
% cat /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
pacbell: # or name_of_service_provider
      set device PPPoE:ep0 # replace xl1 with your ethernet device
      set mru 1492
      set mtu 1492
      set authname YOURLOGINNAME
      set authkey YOURPASSWORD
      set log Phase tun command # you can add more detailed logging if you wish
      set dial
      set login
      set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0
      add default HISADDR
      nat enable yes # if you want to enable nat for your local net

    papchap:
      set authname YOURLOGINNAME
      set authkey YOURPASSWORD

default:
  set device /dev/cuaa1

 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 set speed 115200
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

 set timeout 120
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR
 enable dns

% cat /etc/rc.conf

# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
# please make all changes to this file.

ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_mode="ddial"
ppp_nat="YES"
ppp_profile="pacbell"
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
network_interfaces="ep0 lo0"
ifconfig_ep0="up"
#ifconfig_ep0="inet 131.243.x.y  netmask 255.255.255.0"
#defaultrouter="131.243.x.z"
hostname="test.my.domain"

boot errors:

module_register: module netgraph already exists!
linker_file_sysinit "netgrapg.ko" failed to register! 17

uptime erros:
ppp[61]: tun0: Warning: kldload: ng_ether:No such file or directory.
Chat Script failed

Would some help us?

	-Jin