Date:      Thu, 09 Mar 2000 09:13:09 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@simplenet.com>
To:        Haider Roland <r.haider@liwest.at>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make world on RELENG_2_2 failed.

Haider Roland wrote:

> Hi and thanks for reading.
>
> This is the first time I used cvsup and make world to update a system,
> so I guess I've done something wrong.
>
> First, I need to stay with the 2.2 tree so please no "upgrade to 3.x etc."
> replies.
>
> Now this is what I did:
>
> 1) Install X-user distribution off an old 2.2.2-RELEASE CD.
>
> 2) install cvsup package from the same CD.
>
> 3) cvsup the complete source (RELENG_2_2) from cvsup.de.freebsd.org
>
> 4) cd /usr/src, make world.
>
> and after a few hours I get this error:
>
> ===> share/zoneinfo
> umask 022; cd /usr/src/share/zoneinfo;  zic -d /usr/share/zoneinfo -p
> America/New_York   -y /usr/obj/usr/src/share/zoneinfo/yearistype africa
> antarctica asia australasia etcetera europe  factory northamerica
> southamerica systemv
> Bad system call - core dumped
> *** Error code 140

	Since this is your first attempt at make world, and since the 2.2.x
tree has been frozen for a long time (and known to compile cleanly) we
have to strongly suspect your hardware. Make world stresses every part
of the system heavily, and is likely to uncover hardware problems that
day to day use of the system does not.

Good luck,

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"