Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 19:06:53 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD on VMEbus

Is there anyone using FreeBSD on a VMEbus PC?

I have an application which should use VxWorks like the rest of the
project, but since this part has been subcontracted, Wind River wants
A$35,000 for an <expletive deleted> OEM licence for the right to link to
their libraries. Blood suckers. They only charge A$5990 for the tools!

I am being pressured to write a kernel driver for NT to run on the same
machine that is doing some pretty heavy FFT calculations using LabView.
I want to put a box in between, and if I can't have a realtime operating
system, then I need something that I can embedded, like FreeBSD.

The question is: out of all the VMEbus PCs available, which one is the
best choice based on drivers working out-of-the box? Ethernet is
particularly important.

For those who are interested, here is a link to the main project:
<http://www.rlmsystems.com.au/projects.htm>; (JORN).

Please save me from a fate worse than death. I got this contact on the
basis that it _wasn't_ a Microsoft development, so either I need to jump
off the nearest tall building, walk away, or find an alternative...

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137