Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 22:02:22 -0500
From:      "Evan Champion" <evanc@synapse.net>
To:        "Eivind Eklund" <eivind@yes.no>, "Robert Watson" <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, "Derek Flowers" <djflow@portwwwbus.tc.cc.va.us>
Cc:        "Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC" <softweyr@xmission.com>, "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: after the release ...

>I'm right now looking at adding support for the JAR manifest standard
>to pkg_add.  The only loss I can see is that until somebody re-write
>the signing software you'll have to have Java installed to sign
>packages.  I hope the amount of work to make this work should be
>feasible to have it ready over the next few days - it looks fairly
>simple.

One could argue that it would be a good idea to leave the signing software
alone and include Java standard in 3.0-current...

The comment on <http://www.freebsd.org/java/>; is:

This is a pre-release version of Sun's Java Development Kit ported to
FreeBSD. It is being tested for any problems that might exist. No known
significant bugs exist at this time, but there are no guarantees of
usability.

I think that pretty much describes 3.0-current in general so it would fit
right in :-)

I may be alone on this, but I would certainly like to see Java as
standard-issue on FreeBSD (and I do mean standard-issue, not just a port).

Evan