Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:42:35 +0300
From:      "Igor Sysoev" <igor@nitek.ru>
To:        "<Joerg Wunsch" <joerg@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:    Fatal bug in 2.2.5R's lpd

Hi,

some time ago I found that 'ct' doesn't work at all at least in lpq.
I'd searched mail lists and found mail from Joerg Wunsch:

----------
Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 1997 23:39:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joerg Wunsch <joerg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        announce@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG

When merging the new `ct' printcap functionality into 2.2-stable right
before 2.2.5-RELEASE was due, it's now apparent that I didn't test it
enough before. :-(  I've introduced a fatal bug that causes all the
lpd children sending jobs to remote printers to be killed after the `ct'
timeout, even in case the connection came up properly.  For small jobs,
you won't notice this immediately (the default timeout is 120 seconds,
and modern printers can print a lot within this time), but large jobs
will ultimately be aborted then.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  For those of you who do need to operate
on remote printers, please either do upgrade to the latest 2.2-stable,
or apply the patch below, rebuild and reinstall your lpd.

Sorry again,

	Joerg <joerg@FreeBSD.ORG>
----------------

When I try to list queue on turned off remote LaserJet with JetDirect
card lpq hangs up for 75 seconds nevertheless ct value I set or even
default ct value - 120 seconds. I found it when Windows 95 froze on
same time while trying to print or list queue on this printer connected
through Samba when printer was turned off.
I tried it on FreeBSD 2.2.7. To test it you can simply make dummy remote
printer entry in printcap like me:

lj|LaserJet 4 with JetDirect:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=lj:\