Date:      Sat, 07 Aug 1999 11:38:09 -0500
From:      Chris Cook <ccook@tcworks.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: 2 queries]

Martin wrote:

> > > 1)   If you can route traffic through a gateway machine, what is the
> > > requirement for a router ?  More IP's ? faster routing ?
> > >      a)   Has anyone tried the Linux router project software ?
> >
> > The requirement for a router?  I lost you here.
>
> Everything I have read talks about the need for a router, eg. cisco or
> whatever, and it's pretty much left like that.

Well, I try to keep things simple.  Fact is, a router has less to break
down than
a "Gateway Machine", and the router is designed for that specific task.
You don't
usually have to worry about people compromising the router because of
software
issues, and well... it's smaller and more efficient.  Just my .02

> I've heard that co-locating at the central office and interfacing to the
> internet and from the customers off the switch is possible and probably the
> best way to go.

What central office are you referring to?  Your provider?  You are going
to want
to house your equipment at your location.  Hope I could help.

--
Chris Cook
The Computer Works