Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:21:26 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for Mom

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:57:11PM -0500, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:

> My mom uses FreeBSD.  More precisely, she uses Pine to send/receive
> email.  At present, she has a DSL connection.  She's soon to change
> to a dial up account.
>
> What I'm planning to do is provide her with a shell script which will
> send/receive email for her.  She'll run it to check for mail and when
> she's done composing her outgoing mail.
>
> My initial untested idea is:
>
> - ppp --dial HerISP,
> - wait for the connection to come up
> - then flush the mail queue
> - run fetchmail to grab anything waiting
> - kill the connection
>
> Someone must have already done something similar.

I had this setup some years ago. The only preliminary thing was
Postfix, because I couldn't configure sendmail to work without DNS
resolution, which caused unneeded callouts. The mail went to
deferred queue when sent and everything else was bound to callout
phase, /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup did everything. Set time with ntpdate,
flushed queue and fetched new mail. Very convenient after setup, but
I _do_ remember the horrible fight with sendmail and that it took an
hour to set up postfix as I wanted (did it the first time ever)..
--

Vallo Kallaste