Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 11:56:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        saken@rmta.ml.org (Scott A. Kenney)
Cc:        berend@pobox.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap_pager: out of swap space, only power off did help

> According to Berend de Boer:
>
> > My quite stable freebsd stable halted today with "swap_pager: out of swap
> > space". Only a reboot did help. But within minutes this message came again.
> > Help! I'm running stable from a few weeks ago.
> >
> > 1. What has happened?
> >
> > 	As far as I know someone send me a large (3MB) message, which sendmail
> > spooled to /var/spool/mqueue (at least there I found it) and procmail tried
> > to deliver it, without luck however. But /var/mail still did have 15MB
> > free, so what could be wrong? This is a 16MB machine with a 40MB swap
> > space.
>
> This is a well known problem with procmail on FreeBSD.
> The attached message contains a patch for procmail which solves the
> problem.

Since I now know a couple of people being happy with procmail and
huge messages, maybe we should include my patch in the procmail
port. I think, the best would be somwhere in a README-2.2 file
or as a note being echoed during the make process. Or, if we are
keen, we could put it into the patches directory...

	-Andre