Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:23:51 -0700
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disallow setuid root shells?

--------
[CC: list trimmed]

>   IMHO adding "anti-setuid" code into shell will help, but that help won't
> worth the effort of typing "setuid(getuid());" and recompiling the shell
> -- it only makes one more step required to get the same result unless the
> system is stripped down until becoming completely useless (but stripped
> down until becoming completely useless system isn't vulnerable to most of
> known security bugs anyway).

   I disagree.  It's a small thing, and very easy to get around, but
it would help reduce the number of breakins by people who don't
understand what they're doing aside from running this program-thingy
that someone gave them.

   I freely admit that most of these people will be using widely
published exploit code, and that almost any vigilant sysadmin won't
be vulnerable to them -- but not everybody is anal about keeping their
computer up to date and secure.  Forgive me for sounding political,
but if even one or two computers are prevented from having a root
compromise by this, it seems worthwhile - especially since nobody
can think of anything it would actually hurt.

   -Dave