Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2007 15:33:32 -0500
From:      Anish Mistry <amistry@am-productions.biz>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help wanted configuring HPLIP

--nextPart7332509.Chg53pF0bM

On Friday 07 December 2007, Robert Huff wrote:
> Predrag Punosevac writes:
> >  > 	I've got it installed, see the post-install configuration
> >  > message, and have questions about how it will interact with
> >  > existing printers.
> >
> >  You might want to repeat your message as attachments are
> > stripped by the FreeBSD mail server.
>
> 	Didn't send an attachment.
> 	Here's the scenario:
> 	Computer in question is runnong -CURRENT and already has CUPS
> installed for the (parallel attached) LaserJet 6mp.
> 	I now have access to a PSC 7xx, which I would like to use 0<x<1
> % for color printing and the rest for scanning.  As far as i can
> tell sane by itself does not have the ability to do this, but it
> concert with HPLIP it does.
> 	First question: is this correct?  Not just connect to the PSC,
> but use both devices at once>  If not, then I just abort the whole
> plan.
> 	After seeing the post-installation message for HPLIP, I wat to
> understand what I'm doing before messing with devfs.  (Revuilding
> the kernel is no biggie, though I don't think that'll be
> necessary.) And, frankly, configuring CUPS is usually as pleasant
> as aggrssive dysentery.
You should be fine since your other printer is a parallel port=20
printer.  The HPLIP port doesn't configure parallel port printers so=20
just use the normal CUPS configuration.  There are some issues with=20
the PSC printers and getting attached as umass devices.  Search the=20
archives for more info.  Basically a real solution for the umass=20
issue won't appear until the HPS USB stack grows "generic device=20
access for already claimed usb devices" support sometime next year.

=2D-=20
Anish Mistry
amistry@am-productions.biz
AM Productions http://am-productions.biz/