Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:48:46 -0600
From:      Murray <mgd@brutus.converging.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to configure device to add 2nd hdd

From: Murray <mgd@brutus.converging.net>

Sorry for the second post, but I forgot to include a subject line.

I added a second hard drive to my system on a separate ide channel and
recompiled the kernel so that device ata1 was enabled. (v4.1)
I then tried to issue the command:
dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad1 ba=1024
I received the following error message:
dd: /dev/ad1: Device not configured

There are entries for ad1,ad1a, ad1b, etc. in the /dev directory.
However, there are no entries in /etc/fstab for ad1, etc. My objective
is simply to clone the original drive on ide0 to the drive on ide1 and
then use the cloned drive in an identical system instead of having to
build the o/s on hte system.

What do I need to do configure the new drive so that FreeBSD sees it
so that I can use the dd command?

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Murray Davis