Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 19:26:15 -0700
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

> From: Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
> Date: 2000-06-26 19:13:04 -0700
> To: Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
> Subject: Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?
> Cc: Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Wes Peters
> <wes@softweyr.com>,Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>,
> arch@FreeBSD.ORG, papowell@astart.com
>
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 10:06:30PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > I did, but I'm sorry, Artistic License != BSD License.  The Artistic
> > license says you can only use it inside your own organization,
freely, you
> > can not sell it or use it inside a product (like you can BSD).
> >
> > I will admit that the Artistic License is *far* more acceptable
than the
> > GPL, but I just don't see the need to get this in.  I will
immediately
> > admit it's better software, but I can't see why we need it in
the base
> > system, when one of the side effects is losing a perfectly good BSD
> > licensed lpd.
>
> This would limit us from having FreeBSD based printer-in-a-box type
> solutions...

I don't read the artistic license this way.  Seems like it requires
only that you keep copyrights attached, and if you make changes, you
either provide the original along with the changed version, or make
the effort to get the changes back to the Copyright Holder for
incorporation.

In addition, point 5 seems to indicate that it's OK to include it
"in aggregate", including use as part of  a commercial software
release, without violating the agreement, as long as you don't claim
that lprng is "FreeBSD code" (keep the attributions correct, or
somesuch).

Regards,

Justin

--