Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 1996 23:42:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kirk Lapray and Scott Hunt <klapray@cougarnet.byu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Problems over weird EtherNET connection

On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Kirk Lapray and Scott Hunt wrote:

> We recently (about 25 minutes ago) tried to set up FreeBSD through an
> FTP install on a Pentium-Pro 200Mhz with 64MB of RAM.  We were actually
> quite impressed by the installation program which auto detected the SVGA
> card, SCSI adapter and EtherNET card.  However, after filling in the
> EtherNet connection info, it bombed out on us (both in active and
> passive modes) with an Error 11: "I'm Dead".

That is not nice.  Jump over to the ALT-F2 debug screen and see if there
is any additional information there.  Usually, sig11's indicate hardware
problems, but concidering your network, it may just be a misconfiguration
and a bug handling the error.

> 	The connection is to a DHCP server,

You will need to 'borrow' an IP address for the duration of the install.
The install program (and FreeBSD in general) doesn't understand DHCP or
BOOTP at the moment.