Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:40:02 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@alaskaparadise.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: MS, Adobe competition heats up, Will Adobe wake and port Flash to BSD?

On Wednesday 18 April 2007, Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri said:
> On 4/18/07, illoai@gmail.com <illoai@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 17/04/07, Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri <almarrie@gmail.com>
> > wrote: . . .
> >
> > > Porting Flash to more OSes will sure will make adobe beats MS
> > > when it comes to web media.
> >
> > I hope they kill each other and take the whole
> > retch-media enhanced web experience with
> > them flaming into the pit of hell from which
> > they came.
> >
> > But that's just my opinion.

> I'm sorry but rich media is a fact in the web, and you can't ignore
> it.
>
> Flash is used with Yahoo! maps, and so with alot of useful apps
> like stocks prices ..etc.
>
> Instead of ignoring it, we should see it ported to FreeBSD.

I agree. As much as I personally dislike flash, I have business
clients who would be willing to switch from Micro$oft to FreeBSD. The
main stumbling block is the lack of stable flash support.

Where I have deployed test versions of FreeBSD with either OO or KDE
with Firefox, they were generally happy except for flash. This is one
of the things we need to overcome if we're ever going to be seriously
considered as a desktop os. Most clients expect the browser to at
least work as well as Micro$oft, however misguided that is.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Port Maintainer - beech@alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html