Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:41:01 -0700
From:      "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net>
To:        Chris Byrnes <chris@jeah.net>
Cc:        Simon <simon@optinet.com>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: WTF

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 06:46:27PM -0500, Chris Byrnes wrote:
> SWAP usage has been high lately.  It happened RIGHT after I upgraded the
> system to a new CPU, board, and RAM, and to 3.50STABLE.  I
> thought maybe there was a OS issue with my SUP or something (I
> was hoping).  That's when it started happening.

You have changed three variables, so it is difficult to determine which
one (or which combination) might be responsible for your problem.
However, here are some things that you might think about:

How regularly does this happen?  Is it always at the same time of day?
Try to correlate the reboots with some other regular events.  If
possible, record all of the times when the reboots happen and plot them.
Look at the data and try to see if they fit any other patterns.  Even
consider seemingly unrelated, external events such as spikes in the
power usage in your building, or things that might cause temperature
variations in the room where the machine is kept (such as sunlight
coming in through a window, etc).

> God, I dont have TIME to weed thru trying new boards and new
> CPUs.
>
> I wish there was a quick fix.

A fix requires knowing what the problem is!

-brian

--
Brian O'Shea
boshea@ricochet.net