Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:29:06 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with configuration files after multiple Gnome upgrades

After the upgrade to Gnome 2.30, various of my systems had a variety of
"odd" issues. The most serious was the inability of gnome-screensaver to
get a password and unlock. Two of my systems had this problem.

Other issues included gnome-power-manager failing to exit on logout, the
menu editor (alacarte) changes taking not instantiating until the panel
is restarted and several other slightly misbehaving things.

I removed .gnome2, .local, and .config. This fixed many problems, but
not all. To fix the screensaver issue, I had to delete an old .xmodmap,
of all things. I just stumbled across this.

Is there anyplace to look for a list of files that save Gnome
configuration? At least those used by standard apps? I hate to have to
configure from scratch, but I'm much happier now that I have done so, at
least for the stuff I could find.

(I'd just love to know how .xmodmap broke the screensaver.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)