Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 21:17:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Kazuhiko Kiriyama <kiri@kiri.toba-cmt.ac.jp>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't compile kdelibs-2.1b

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:

> > checking for moc... test: syntax error
> notice in the first group of errors above that there was a syntax error
> when it tried to get moc.  FreeBSD found it, but that configure script
> choked at that point.  moc is part of qt, and I don't know why kdelibs

  I've seen configure choke looking for stuff before (in 2.2.5-stable).  I
think it is /bin/sh bug, actually.

  You will probably find something like the following in configure:

for ac_dir in $PATH:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin; do

  sh handles this in an interesting way.  Basically, it iterates over the
elements of $PATH, then glues the last element of $PATH to the remaining
string, and returns it as the last element.

  So if $PATH is "/usr/bin:/bin:/home/tom/bin", the for will loop with
"/usr/bin", "/bin", and "/home/tom/bin:/usr/local/bin".  The last entry
causes "test" to freak, and so configure defaults to some default
directory.

Tom