Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:43:09 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gilad Rom <rom_glsa@ein-hashofet.co.il>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Porting a device driver from Linux

On Saturday, 16 February 2002 at 17:10:54 +0200, Gilad Rom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work for a company that sells Linux boxes that act as ADSL
> gateways. Every box has a special PCI card designed and manufactured by
> us which includes one ATM controller (A Fujitsu FireStream 50) and 16
> ADSL modems.
>
> Of course, one of our biggest problems is linux itself, crashing several
> times per week and forcing the client to physically reboot the machine.
> Also, the userland ATM implementation under Linux is less than
> successful, and is giving us many headaches.
>
> What I would like to do is somehow port the FireStream driver from Linux
> to *BSD, and use BSD's Native ATM support, which appears to be much
> better, and, naturally, enjoy all of BSD's advantages and strength over
> linux.
>
> So, Has anyone ever done that sort of thing before? What would it take?

You'd probably be better off asking this sort of question on
FreeBSD-hackers.  I don't know of anybody who's done it, but I'd
expect it to be pretty complicated, since the kernels are very
different.  If there's a driver for UNIX, that would be a lot easier
to port.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.