Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 13:30:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@dimension.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: misc/6818: local_startup section of /etc/rc

The following reply was made to PR misc/6818; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeff Aitken <jaitken@dimension.net>
To: jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc: jaitken@wingnut.syntunix.com, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 16:24:09 -0400 (EDT)

 Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
 > > 	The restriction that system startup scripts end in .sh
 > > 	is silly.
 >
 > No, it's not silly, it allows you to put other files there like
 > documentation files or a README describing (to the next admin
 > to come along) some of these weird packages you're starting
 > up and why.

 Why not just run everything that's executable?  README's and
 documentation generally isn't executable, right?

 I guess I've actually started to get used to "intelligent" SYS-V
 style startup procedures like HP-UX has (or Digital UNIX, to a
 slightly lesser extent), where the startup script is named after
 the daemon where possible, or is obviously named (e.g.,
 /sbin/init.d/nfs.server).

 I also like the idea of the 'start_msg' and 'stop_msg' parameters on
 HP-UX; to my way of thinking, they give you enough documentation. ;-) ;-)

 Anyway, just my $.02, after I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out
 why my damn sshd script wasn't being run. :-)

 --Jeff