Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2017 00:28:55 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>, "Piotr P. Stefaniak" <pstef@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I want to remove troff output support from indent(1)

--pgnu6d55pr26p3s2

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 03:08:00PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> On 26 Feb 2017, at 19:06, Piotr P. Stefaniak <pstef@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> indent, the C source reformatting tool, has a -troff option to produce
> >> roff output.
> >>
> >> I have a few issues with it:
> >> 1) it doesn't work. When I view the resulting file with nroff(1) piped
> >> to more(1) [etc]
> >
> > From man indent:
> >
> > "-troff          Causes indent to format the program for processing by
> >                      troff(1)"
> >
> > NB troff. Likely it was always broken with nroff.
>=20
> I know that I used indent from this time with troff output to print
> things that looked OK. It had to be troff, because nroff didn't work
> with the laser printer that we had...
>=20
> I have no trouble removing it, but I have first hand experience with
> it working back in the day.
>=20
It seems that what broke is that if output of indent -troff was to be passe=
d in
a troff -mindent command line. meaning that there use to be a indent.tmac
somewhere but neither groff, neither heirloom roff seems to be providing it=
 at
all a indent.tmac or equivalent.

So I doubt it ever worked on FreeBSD. I can see online some documentation
speaking about (on oracle website) and even some crazy french website sayin=
g it
worked with groff, but can't find the file in groff history either

Best regards,
Bapt

--pgnu6d55pr26p3s2

--pgnu6d55pr26p3s2--