Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 02:17:45 +1200
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        "Song, Bo Run" <song@www3.nn.gx.cn>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web Based Script

> I had written a PHP3 Radius authentication function. It can be used to
> do user authentication. Combined with a detail-to-Mysql perl script (
> run in crontab), we used it to provide a web interface of customer
> usage query.
>
> To prevent password guessing attack, a sleep() should be put into
> the PHP3 script.

This assumes that the password attack script makes attacks in series.  If it runs multiple queries in parallel, then your sleep() function will not slow them down much, but will increase the impact on your server of running a lot of CGI calls in a short space of time.  It's analagous to attacks on sendmail using RCPT to check for valid mail addresses.  See bugtraq articles last month for that discussion.

Andrew McNaughton