Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 21:30:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cant su

Mike Tancsa wrote to questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I have a test box that is having problems with su.  If I do something like
> su username
>
> and give it the wrong password, it just hangs
>
> buildbox% su mdtancsa
> Password:
> Sorry
>

> And it just hangs after the sorry.  Any ideas what might be going on ?
>
> 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #0: Mon Mar  6 20:10:37 EST 2000
>
> 	---Mike

I don't see this behaviour on either of my 3.4 machines (one machine was
updated last week.  The other is running from a 2 m.o. cvsup), using
descrypt on one.

Define "hangs"... I.e., if this is on a local vty, can you switch to
another?  I assume ^C/^Z don't knock it out?  Does it hang the whole box
(can you ping/login to the machine?).  Or is su the only process that's
hanging?  Can you do a ps -axl?  Is the box using remote passwords?

Have you changed your crypt libs around lately?  Are all the links as they
should be?  Modtimes sufficiently old?

Occasionally, on virtual terminals, when a program exits on failure
(usually after it dumps core), I don't get a prompt back, and the term
wreaks havoc with the keyboard.  Usually I just kill the controlling shell
and getty cleans up the mess :-)

Sorry this isn't a hard fast answer, but perhaps my questions will spark
something for you :-)

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2