Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:09:14 -0600
From:      Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
To:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64 native boot loader?

On Dec 22, 2007, at 3:32 AM, Bruce Cran wrote:

> AMD64 CPUs are backwards compatible with i386; they boot in 16-bit
> real mode and only get switched into 64-bit 'long mode' by the kernel
> later on. Since both i386 and amd64 start booting in the same way,
> there's no need for separate bootloaders.
>
> --
> Bruce

I've thought about this too, but do wonder why the boot loader couldn't
go into long mode in one of the loader stages.  I don't know if there'd
be any significant improvements or drawbacks other than duplication of
some code(which I imagine isn't changed often).

Somewhat offhand, can the OpenBSD loader chain boot FreeBSD?  Due to my
dvd drive being sata over atapi, it wasn't recognized by the 6 branch
until recently(many thanks to whoever committed the change).  But I
recall that the boot cd for FreeBSD wouldn't boot, but the boot cd for
OpenBSD would.  Of course that does primarily relate to cdboot and not
boot0.