Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 1997 21:56:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Vorchak, Alan" <avorchak@prografx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP install trouble

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Vorchak, Alan wrote:

> The system then gets to the dialog where I must switch over to the Terminal
> Emulator by pressing Alt-F3, go into the system, type *term*
>
> The system then returns:  "Press ~? for help"
> I press ~? and a few commands are allowed:  help, log up, log down, quit
> program, and one or two more.
>
> Ok, this is where I am stuck, what do I need to do to configure the system
> to recognize my modem and dialup my ISP?

You're talking directly to your modem now, so you need to issue the dial
command, which is `ATDT 555-5555', where 5's are the number for your ISP.
You want to log in enough to start a PPP session (some ISPs do it
automatically) then wait for ppp> to become PPP>.  Then you can jump back
by ALT-F1 to the main screen and continue.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo