Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:09:17 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <smp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: My System Hangs/Deadlock?

	I thought I'd chime in on this one...

	When I used to work for a former employer, our main server was a Dual
Cel/500 (not overclocked since I found out that they were) on an ABit board.
It had the motherboard temp sensor and everything, but hadn't been
configured to use it.  One day, for on apparent reason, NT Server locked up
on it cold as death (yeah, I know, normal mode of operation for NT)...

	Anyway, in doing the post mortem of it, it happened again.  Being the
crafty guy I am, I ripped the case off of it (at the time, it was the only
machine in the server room/my office that had a case shell on it) I watched
what it was doing... neither fan on the chips were turning.  To tell you how
bad this place was, I was told to just remove the fans and let it go.  Now
that would have been intelligent... (tells you the kind of management I was
working for)...

	At any rate, the only real remedy for the situation was to replace both
heatsink/fan combos and to get the machine cooled correctly.  I ended up
installing about 4 fans, and building a nice little scoop that ran from the
air conditioning duct work into the machine.  Never overheated since then.

	Point of all of this... make sure your machine is happy (i.e. cool) and
you'll be happy...

--- Andy