Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 01:02:21 +0000
From:      David Banning <tracker@worldy.com>
To:        bduk@earthlink.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to set Freebsd boot bisk as secondary drive

Derrick Baumer wrote:

> > From: David Banning <tracker@worldy.com>
> >
>   [snip]
>
> > I tried as you suggest and re-compiled my Kernel.  When I do the
> > reverse of what I have been doing (boot on wd0 while my kernel is
> > now configured for wd1) bootup message says "changing device to
> > wd0s1a" and keeps going with a perfect boot.
>
> I'm feeling dense.  With the drive with the root partition wired as
> master (wd0), and the kernel compiled with "root on wd1", you're able
> to boot perfectly?
Separating the fstab and speaking only on the kernel config, yes.
It will boot regardless of the kernel configuration you give it -
with a minor message stating that it's changing the root mount.

> > Just to try it, I wired the drive as wd1 again - no go -same
> > problems.
>
> But when you wire the drive to wd1 (still configured for root on wd1),
> it wont come up?
It didn't - now it does...

> >  What I did notice however is this; the emergency read-only shell it
> > brings up it calls simply wd1s1a (a dev that does not exist).  When
> > I do a df it shows the / file system as 512 byte blocks, while when
> > I boot the disk without errors in the wired wd0 position, it comes
> > up as 1024 byte blocks.  It is the same file system - same ratio of
> > total to used to available blocks. Just double the size of each
> > block.  That got me wondering if there is some config place where
> > the machine is told what size blocks to use. I did grepped "512" and
> > "1024" in /boot /boot/defaults and /usr/src/sys/i386/conf to see if
> > anything is configed as such - no luck.
>
> I have a device /dev/ws1s1a on my system, but the install might have
> put it there based on what it detected or something.  If you intend to
> boot from that drive, I'm sure FreeBSD would like to be able to access
> it through its device entries, though!  It seems to me the system
> should come to a screeching halt if it's required to access a device
> for which it has no device entry, especially if it's the boot drive.
> That it boots at all is either testament to greatness or indication of
> folly.  Try
>
> cd /dev
> ./MAKEDEV wd1

here is where the answer lay I didn't get anyehere
trying to do batchs of drivers with MAKEDEV but once
I made the dev's individually eg ./MAKEDEV wd1s1a
all was well!

Thanks for hanging on till we got it working - Cheers!