Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2001 15:01:03 -0500
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Matt Busigin <solaris@midnightrealm.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Message Passing

* Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> [011009 14:37] wrote:
> Matt Busigin wrote:
> > For now, after looking at SVSV IPC, I am rewriting it so that the pointers
> > are in the proc struct, and I am initialising them in kern_exec.c, but I
> > am wishing/hoping there is a more elegant manner that I can do this
> > completely in modules.
>
> Look at the KNOTE() code that notes to the proc.  This mechanism
> pretty much already exists, though no one has yet added support
> for SVR4 message queues (it should be trivial) or arbitrary
> messages (SVR4 shared memory or an mmaped file would end up
> being the best transport).
>
> Not to be a wet blanket, or anything -- I've often bemoaned the
> lack of this kind of thing in FreeBSD.

Suggesting an easy to use method would probably get it coded
for you. :)

I was thinking about this problem and the quick and ugly fix would
be to just have a linked list of containers hung off the proc struct
or perhaps an array of pointers where each subsystem can allocate
an index that it will use to hang off subsystem dependant data.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]