Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:28:02 +0100
From:      Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fbsd-amd64 desktop

On Friday 27 January 2006 10:03, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> I've only run fbsd-amd64 on servers.  My favorite server ports all
> work great but not sure about status of desktop related stuff.  For
> example, I know OpenOffice has issues.  Any other gotchas I should know
> about?

A lot depends on what kind of desktop you intend to run. KDE, for instance,
has no gotchas that don't also apply to i386 (basically, many hardware
detection and configuration things are linux-specific in that codebase, so
they don't work on any FreeBSD). For common desktop applications like
pirating CDs (k3b) and surfing dubious websites (webbrowser + mplayer), amd64
desktops are fine.

--
As of September 1st, 2004, the University of Nijmegen will _still_ be the
University of Nijmegen, but with a different nonsensical adjective in front.